Sunday, January 4, 2009

Feed me, garden!

Since I've gotten my fingers back in the dirt it amazes me how many plants weathered my neglect just fine! That's no excuse to neglect them more but it does prove the incredible resilience of plant life, I wish I could say the same about my house plants. The other day I was poking around in the garden and brought home quite a haul!

From right to left Broccoli Raab or Rapini or whatever you want to call it. Radishes (Daikon and French breakfast) Radichio on the right and out in front are peas which love this cool weather. I need to plant more.


Here are the salads I made. The red pepper and spinach wasn't grown in my garden but everything else was. Yum.I used the Rapini in a Broccoli and Rice casserole (I love this dish!) It wasn't bad and the leftovers are pretty good cold. The cheeses I used were Parmesan, Monterey jack and cheddar. Next time, I'll skip the jack and just go all cheddar with a little parm. The rappini is more bitter than broccoli and could use more of the savory sharp cheddar accompaniment.I made bread sticks, oooh la la.

And the piece de resistance! Black cherry jello served in wine glasses. Keepin' it classy.

No comments: